A little known public health directive, Title 42, allows border agents to swiftly “expel” migrants who cross the border — without considering their asylum claims. It was implemented in March 2020 as COVID-19 cases spread across the U.S. This expulsion policy was criticized by presidential candidate Joe Biden, but President Biden has embraced it. At least for now.
In this week’s Political Theater podcast, guest host Suzanne Monyak unpacks the politics of this thorny immigration policy with Cris Ramón, an independent immigration consultant.
- Administration plans to contest ‘Remain in Mexico’ court ruling
- Business leaders pressure Congress for immigration changes
- Opinion: Ending Title 42 for illegal border crossings will jeopardize post-pandemic recovery
- As migrant arrivals rise in July, Mayorkas defends Biden policies
- Democrats call to include ‘documented Dreamers’ in reconciliation