Just a few days to go, and it’s anyone’s guess who will win the Iowa caucuses. What’s the biggest thing on Iowans’ minds as they decide among a jumbled contest among the Democrats? Impeachment? Electability? Personal likability?
The last time we spoke with caucus expert and political scientist David Redlawsk, he was just starting a six-monthlong sabbatical in Iowa. Amid the electoral hubbub of the Iowa State Fair in August, Redlawsk said Iowans were just not sure what to do with all these candidates, as more than 20 Democrats, and even some Republicans, made their cases in the Hawkeye State.
Well, the field has certainly slimmed down among the Democrats, but many of the dynamics have not changed. There is a a cluster of candidates all within striking distance of victory: former Vice President Joe Biden, Sens. Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren and Amy Klobuchar and former South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg.
Redlawsk thinks the interest in the process, as well as a somewhat favorable weather forecast for Feb. 3, could send turnout to record levels, shattering the record 239,000-plus who came out in 2008. Check out his other observations about life in Iowa and what to expect come Monday in this week’s Political Theater podcast.
- With Iowa and New Hampshire still up in the air, Democratic race has 2016 echoes
- How can a cookie sway the democratic process? The Iowa caucuses explained
- Impeachment clouds hang over home stretch of Iowa caucuses
- Senators make their last pitch to Iowa before impeachment trial
- DNC blocks virtual caucuses in Iowa and Nevada
- Democrats need rural voters to put Iowa in play in 2020
- It’s still difficult to see Trump losing Iowa in November
- Trump campaign to deploy Cabinet secretaries, lawmakers, allies to Iowa
- Former Iowa governor: Take rural voters seriously
- The Iowa State Fair: A day in the deep-fried life
- This Iowa farmer has his finger on the 2020 pulse
- How Gephardt’s 2004 Iowa team boosted the Democratic Party
- Candidates, calories and cows: What really happens at the Iowa State Fair