Gubernatorial elections this week in Virginia and New Jersey showed a huge swing toward Republicans in two states previously thought of as solidly Democratic. The way politicians react to the elections will be hugely significant and will affect everything from the congressional agenda to 2022 recruiting and messaging.
CQ Roll Call elections analyst Nathan L. Gonzales joins the Political Theater podcast to offer his takeaways from 2021’s off-off-year elections.
- 11 thoughts after Republicans’ big night in Virginia and New Jersey
- Democrats assess blame as GOP reacts to election by expanding 2022 target list
- Could anti-Trump messaging be more effective in 2022 than in 2021?
- All politics isn’t local anymore
- What the elections in Virginia and New Jersey won’t tell us