The memorials for the late Maryland Democratic Rep. Elijah E. Cummings illustrate the unique way the nation remembers figures like him, a tradition of grieving both in public and private in places important to the deceased. Longstanding rituals in the Capitol, and in also in his hometown of Baltimore, give his family, friends, colleagues and constituents a way to celebrate his life.
From former presidents to high schoolers from Baltimore City College, Cummings’ funeral shows the unique way we grieve people like him.
- Pain and politics acknowledged at Cummings’ funeral
- Elijah Cummings, a man of character and the best of Baltimore
- Setting partisanship aside, colleagues gather to honor Cummings
- Obama speaks at Elijah Cummings’ funeral
- Photos of the Week: Amid impeachment battle, members pay respect to Cummings
- Cummings lies in state as public honors his service
- Elijah Cummings: A life in photos
- Rep. Elijah Cummings, key Democrat in impeachment investigation, has died
- Cummings unites lawmakers, for the moment, as impeachment inquiry trudges forward
- Capitol Ink | Elijah Cummings
- Who could succeed Elijah Cummings in Congress?