An economic recession triggered by the COVID-19 pandemic means a drop in payroll tax revenues that finance the Social Security and Medicare trust funds. CQ Roll Call’s David Lerman and Jennifer Shutt discuss how quickly the funds could be depleted and what Congress might do to save them. They also give a preview of the appropriations process that begins in the House next week.
- Coronavirus economy drains Social Security, Medicare coffers
- Effort to crack Big Tech’s legal shield gains bipartisan momentum
- Defense bill would give Pentagon power over Energy’s nuclear arms budget
- Climate panel urges sweeping change, deep carbon cuts
- Road ahead: Defense discussions dominate, plus infrastructure week in the House