Since withdrawing his concession in North Carolina’s 9th District race, Democrat Dan McCready has raised more than $500,000 for a new election that isn’t even certain to happen.
McCready withdrew his concession on Dec. 6 after allegations of election fraud led the state elections board to delay certification of the results and The Associated Press to retract its call in favor of Republican Mark Harris, who had originally led by 905 votes.
The average donation to McCready was $22.17.
“People are standing up to defend our democracy against corrupt politicians who would steal votes and silence the people’s voices, just to gain power for themselves,” McCready said in a statement Friday.
Democratic lawmakers and PACs across the country seized on a potential special election in the 9th District to send out their own fundraising emails ahead of the end-of-the-year fundraising deadline. Many of these solicitations sought donations that would be split between McCready and whoever was sending the email.
A 2009 advisory opinion from the FEC says a candidate’s authorized committee may accept contributions to be used in a special election “even though an election has not been scheduled and may not occur.”
Earlier this week, a Wake County Superior Court judge ruled against Harris’ efforts to have the election results certified before the state board completes an investigation. A new state board is expected to convene next month.
Also watch: First 2020 Senate race ratings are here