The remains of former President George H.W. Bush arrived at Joint Base Andrews on Monday afternoon and services commenced at the Capitol shortly thereafter.
Here is the schedule for the Washington D.C. portion of the services and ceremonies accompanying the 41st president’s state funeral.
Monday, December 3
- 4:00 p.m. ET Depart Joint Base Andrews for U.S. Capitol
- 4:45 p.m. Arrive at the U.S. Capitol
- 5:00 p.m. Lie in state in the U.S. Capitol Rotunda. A bicameral arrival ceremony is held, featuring comments from Speaker Paul Ryan, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Vice President Mike Pence and more. Bush’s sons, former president George W. Bush and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, were among the family, friends and former colleagues in attendance.
- 7:30 p.m. Rotunda opens to the public to pay their respects
Tuesday, December 4
- Bush to lie in state at the Capitol
Wednesday, December 5
- 7:00 a.m. Capitol Rotunda closes to the public
- 10:00 a.m. Depart U.S. Capitol for Washington National Cathedral
- 11:00 a.m. Funeral ceremony begins at National Cathedral
- 12:30 p.m. Bush’s remains will depart the National Cathedral for Joint Base Andrews
- 1:15 p.m. Final D.C. ceremony is held at Joint Base Andrews before departure en route to Houston. The 41st president will be laid to rest on Thursday, December 6 at 4:15 p.m. local time at George Bush Presidential Library & Museum in College Station, Texas.
Watch: George H.W. Bush Lies In State in the Capitol Rotunda