President Donald Trump on Monday called the notion that Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination for the Supreme Court might be withdrawn over sexual misconduct allegations from his high school days “ridiculous.” But he backed delaying the confirmation process so the nominee and his accuser could speak with senators.
“If it takes a little delay, it’ll take a little delay,” Trump said. “I’m sure it will work out very well.”
“With all of that being said, we want to go through the process,” the president said, breaking his silence since the accuser, Christine Blasey Ford, told her side of the story to the Washington Post in an article that published Sunday afternoon.
“We want to go through a full process … and hear everybody out,” Trump said, according to a pool report.
Trump said he wishes “Democrats could have done this a lot sooner,” referring to making public the contents of a letter Judiciary ranking member Dianne Feinstein has had for several months from Ford detailing the alleged encounter.
The president criticized Feinstein, questioning why she did not bring up Ford’s letter during a private meeting with Kavanaugh before his confirmation hearing earlier this month. Trump also touted Kavanaugh’s qualifications for the lifetime appointment.
Trump said he has not spoken with Kavanaugh, but described his confirmation as “very much on track.”