A man accused of sexual abuse at the Capitol Visitor Center in November has been cleared of all charges after prosecutors motioned to dismiss the case last week.
The two 18-year-old female witnesses who told U.S Capitol Police that 30-year-old Adam Fairbert of Florida touched one of their buttocks and took “a photo of a girl” at the CVC later declined to testify under oath.
“I don’t know, I have no idea,” Fairbert said in a telephone interview Thursday, when asked why the women may have made the allegations in the first place. “That’s what my fiancee has asked a million times, too. I don’t get why they would do it.”
Fairbert was with his fiancee the whole time he was at the Visitor Center during the alleged incident, he said.
In none of the four security videos the prosecution submitted as evidence was Fairbert close enough to the women to make physical contact with them, he said. In two of the videos, he said, they were following him.
Bill Miller, a spokesman for the district attorney’s office for the District of Columbia, said the office typically does not comment on charging decisions.
Miller declined to comment on why the prosecutors moved to dismiss the charges against Fairbert.
“I’ve been sick to my stomach from December, January, February” as the drawn-out court process played out, Fairbert said.
Though his fiancee suggested filing a lawsuit against the women, Fairbert said he will not pursue that.