U.S.-Philippine Combat Drills Announced

Posted September 23, 2016 at 9:27am

Military Times reports that “Philippine military officials on Thursday announced the first large-scale combat exercises between U.S. and Filipino forces under President Rodrigo Duterte, who has been critical of American security policies.”

“Military officials said the annual maneuvers by about 1,400 U.S. military personnel and 500 Philippine marines will involve amphibious landing and live-fire exercises at a northern gunnery range from Oct 4 to 12.”

“Describing himself as a socialist, Duterte has had an uneasy relationship with the U.S. He has said he is charting a foreign policy not dependent on the U.S., a treaty ally, and has taken steps to revive ties with China, which had been strained under his predecessor over longstanding territorial conflicts.”