Pentagon Won’t Submit Guantanamo Closure Plan Until September
“The Pentagon said Monday it will submit a plan to lawmakers on closing the Guantánamo Bay detention facility ‘sometime’ after Congress comes back from its August recess,” The Hill reports.
“The Pentagon has finished drafting its plan on how it would close the facility, but it is waiting for other government agencies to sign off before briefing it to Congress… The White House promised to send Congress a plan to close the facility after Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman John McCain (R-Ariz.) included a path to close the facility in the Senate’s version of the annual National Defense Authorization Act, contingent upon the administration’s submission of a plan.”
“Defense Secretary Ashton Carter, who is required by law to personally sign off on each transfer, is reportedly under increasing pressure from the White House to transfer the 52 who have been deemed eligible for transfer. Last month, national security adviser Susan Rice gave Carter an unsigned National Security Council memo that said he would have 30 days to make decisions on newly proposed transfers.”