Candidate: Obama Lawsuit Sold Me on Boehner (Video)
Speaker John A. Boehner can likely count on another vote to keep his gavel — but only if Republican Rick Allen wins his competitive race in Georgia next month.
“Speaker Boehner’s stock went up with me with this constitutional lawsuit [against President Barack Obama], I thought it was time to make a stand,” Allen said in a Sept. 9 interview with CQ Roll Call. “He made a stand, I’m proud of him for it.
Allen faces five-term Democratic Rep. John Barrow in a highly competitive race in Georgia’s 12th District. Barrow won re-election last cycle by 7 points, while Republican Mitt Romney carried the district by double digits.
This cycle, Allen won his party’s crowded May primary with 54 percent of the vote.
Allen also discussed his failed 2012 primary bid for the seat, and why he thinks he has a good chance to defeat Barrow this time.
“I think that right now the country, the mood of the country is anti-incumbent and folks are ready for a change in Washington,” Allen said, “so, I think our timing’s perfect.”
The race is rated Leans Democrat by the Rothenberg Political Report/Roll Call.
Allen’s Team: Jay Walker and Scott Riles, Right Path Strategic Affairs (general consultants), Rob Autry of Public Opinion Strategies (polling), DMM Media (media), Push Digital (digital).
Previous Candidate Interviews:
- Arkansas’ 2nd District: Republican French Hill
- California’s 31st District: Democrat Pete Aguilar
- Arizona’s 7th District: Democrat Mary Rose Wilcox
- New York’s 18th District: Republican Nan Hayworth
- Senate in Oklahoma: Republican James Lankford
- Arizona’s 7th District: Democrat Ruben Gallego
- Senate in Alaska: Republican Dan Sullivan
- New Hampshire’s 2nd District: Republican Marilinda Garcia
- Utah’s 4th District: Republican Bob Fuehr
- Massachusetts’ 6th District: Democrat Seth Moulton
- New York’s 1st District: Republican Lee Zeldin
- Senate in Kansas: Republican Milton Wolf
- West Virginia’s 2nd: Republican Alex Mooney
- Georgia’s 1st District: Republican Bob Johnson
- Georgia’s 10th District: Republican Mike Collins
- Senate in Minnesota: Republican Julianne Ortman
- Georgia’s 10th District: Republican Donna Sheldon
- California’s 25th District: Democrat Lee Rogers
- Michigan’s 7th District: Democrat Pam Byrnes
- Nevada’s 3rd District: Democrat Erin Bilbray
- Illinois’ 13th District: Democrat Ann Callis
- Ohio’s 6th District: Democrat Jennifer Garrison
- Michigan’s 1st District: Democrat Jerry Cannon
- Montana’s At-Large District: Democrat John Lewis
- New York’s 23rd District: Democrat Martha Robertson
- Senate in North Carolina: Republican Thom Tillis
- Senate in Alaska: Republican Mead Treadwell
- Senate in South Carolina: Republican Lee Bright
- Senate in Iowa: Republican David Young
- Senate in Kentucky: Republican Matt Bevin
- Illinois’ 12th District: Republican Mike Bost
- Idaho’s 2nd District: Republican Bryan Smith
- Michigan’s 14th District: Democrat Rudy Hobbs
- California’s 45th District: Republican Mimi Walters
- Senate in Iowa: Republican Matt Whitaker
- Senate in Nebraska: Republican Shane Osborn
- Minnesota’s 6th District: Republican Tom Emmer
- Minnesota’s 6th District: Democrat Jim Graves
- Florida’s 2nd District: Democrat Gwen Graham
- Pennsylvania’s 13th District: Democrat Daylin Leach
- Maine’s 2nd District: Democrat Emily Cain
Roll Call Election Map: Race Ratings for Every Seat
Get breaking news alerts and more from Roll Call in your inbox or on your iPhone.