On the Move in Health: Ami Gadhia
The American Academy of Pediatrics, an organization of 62,000 pediatricians, has hired Ami Gadhia as an assistant director in its department of federal affairs, where she will work on a variety of child health issues.
Fast facts about Gadhia:
- She was previously a senior policy counsel for Consumers Union, the policy and advocacy arm of Consumer Reports, where she focused on auto, food and product safety issues.
- Part of Gadhia’s role at Consumers Union was to testify before congressional committees, such as the House Energy and Commerce Committee on policy issues within her purview.
- Some of the issues that Gadhia will focus on at AAP include preventing child abuse and neglect, improving the foster care and adoption system, and addressing toxic stress.
- Gadhia is gearing up for the reauthorization of the Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act, which she hopes Congress will take up next year.
- She started work at AAP in early July.
Gadhia says her work at Consumers Union prepared her well for work on a broad portfolio of issues at APP: “[I’m] used to juggling different agencies, different committees and jurisdictions.”
A profile of Gadhia appeared in the Sept. 29, 2014 issue of CQ Weekly.