NRCC Touts 11 More ‘Young Gun’ Candidates
The National Republican Congressional Committee promoted 11 more candidates to ‘Young Gun’ status Tuesday morning, elevating their campaigns to the highest level of the program that provides organizational and fundraising support in top House contests.
The 11 additions brings the NRCC’s total number of Young Gun candidates this cycle to 32.
“Candidates that reach ‘Young Gun’ status have met a series of rigorous goals that will put them in position to win on Election Day,” NRCC Chairman Greg Walden of Oregon said in a news release.
The new Young Gun candidates are:
- Banker French Hill, who faces former North Little Rock Mayor Patrick Henry Hays in Arkansas’ 2nd District. It’s an open-seat race because GOP Rep. Tim Griffin is running for for lieutenant governor. (Rothenberg Political Report/Roll Call rating: Leans Republican)
- Arkansas House Majority Leader Bruce Westerman, who faces former Federal Emergency Management Agency Director James Lee Witt in the 4th District. This is an open seat because GOP Rep. Tom Cotton is running for Senate. (Rating: Safe Republican)
- Businessman Rod Blum, who faces state Rep. Pat Murphy in Iowa’s 1st District. This is an open seat because Rep. Bruce Braley is running for Senate. (Rating: Safe Democrat)
- Ophthalmologist Mariannette Miller-Meeks, who faces Rep. Dave Loebsack in Iowa’s 2nd District. (Rating: Safe Democrat)
- Former Capitol Hill aide David Young, who faces former state Sen. Staci Appel in Iowa’s 3rd District. It’s an open-seat contest because GOP Rep. Tom Latham is retiring. (Rating: Tossup)
- Former state Sen. Ryan Zinke, who faces former Capitol Hill aide John Lewis in Montana’s At-Large District. This is an open-seat race because GOP Rep. Steve Daines is running for Senate. (Rating: Republican Favored)
- State Sen. Lee Zeldin, who faces Rep. Tim Bishop in New York’s 1st District. (Rating: Leans Democrat)
- Former Rep. Nan Hayworth, who faces Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney in New York’s 18th District. (Rating: Safe Democrat)
- Former White House aide Elise Stefanik, who faces documentary filmmaker Aaron Woolf in New York’s 21st District. This is an open seat this cycle because Rep. Bill Owens, a Democrat, is retiring. (Rating: Tossup)
- Attorney John Katko, who faces Rep. Dan Maffei in New York’s 24th District. (Rating: Democrat Favored)
- Former CIA officer Will Hurd, who faces Rep. Pete Gallego in Texas’ 23rd District. (Rating: Democrat Favored)
Candidates who earned Young Gun status previously include retired Air Force Col. Martha McSally in Arizona’s 2nd District, former Rep. Bob Dold in Illinois’ 10th District, and state Sen. Torrey Westrom in Minnesota’s 7th District, among many others .