Official: Pentagon Budget Proposals To Be Tied to ‘Needs, Not Budget Caps’

Posted April 21, 2014 at 5:20am

Defense News reports that “The US Defense Department will continue sending Congress budget proposals that do not adhere to federal spending caps and will instead opt to develop budgets it believes are appropriate to defend the country, a senior Pentagon official said.”  

“DoD acquisition chief Frank Kendall said, “it is extremely unlikely that we will ask for less money than the president thinks he needs to defend the country.” His comments came in a speech Tuesday at a National Defense Industrial Association conference.”  

“Kendall stressed that no formal White House decision had been made to submit cap-busting DoD budgets down the road, but pointed to the Pentagon’s 2015 budget proposal, which exceeds the caps by $115 billion between 2016 and 2019.”