EMILY’s List Adds Six to House GOP Target List
EMILY’s List will add six House GOP members to its “On Notice” status Tuesday, signaling the group will make each of them a priority target in 2014:
- Joe Heck in Nevada’s 3rd District
- John Kline in Minnesota’s 2nd District
- Tom Latham in Iowa’s 3rd District
- Tom Reed in New York’s 23rd District
- Scott Tipton in Colorado’s 3rd District
- David Valadao in California’s 21st District
EMILY’s List, which backs female Democratic candidates who support abortion rights, said these Republicans must have “amassed appallingly anti-woman, anti-family records” to make the list, according to a press release. Additionally, the group suggested there will be a “major Democratic female talent waiting in the wings” to challenge the GOP incumbent.
“Each one of them has proven there’s no limit to how far they’ll go to roll back the clock,” EMILY’s List President Stephanie Schriock said. “Whether they opposed equal pay, voted to end Medicare as we know it, or to allow hospitals to let women die rather than provide lifesaving abortion care, it’s clear they have the wrong priorities.”
This is the second round of “On Notice” announcements from EMILY’s List. In January, five House Republicans made the list.
A spokeswoman for the group declined to name the female candidates who could take on these House Republicans. However, a few potential candidates have already made headlines for interest in these races:
- The Des Moines Register recently profiled former state Sen. Staci Appel as a possible challenger to Latham.
- Democratic National Committeewoman Erin Bilbray-Kohn met with Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee Chairman Steve Israel of New York in January after announcing she was considering running against Heck.
- CQ Roll Call recently reported that Colorado Democrats are looking at state Sens. Angela Giron and Gail Schwartz as possible recruits against Tipton.