DCCC’s Latest Round of TV Buys Includes First Spending for Louise Slaughter, Kathy Hochul
The independent expenditure arm of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee today made a new round of television ad buys in seven districts, including two New York seats where the DCCC has not previously purchased air time.
With three weeks to go before Election Day, the DCCC and the National Republican Congressional Committee have been shifting money away from races that appear less competitive and toward ones that now pop a little brighter on the committees’ radars.
According to a Democratic source with knowledge of the buys, the DCCC has placed new advertising dollars on broadcast TV in the following districts:
- Illinois’ open 12th district, where retired businessman Jason Plummer (R) faces retired Maj. Gen. Bill Enyart (D). The DCCC added $100,000 to its buy in the Paducah, Ky., media market and $365,000 to its buy in the St. Louis, Mo., media market from Oct. 23 to Nov. 6.
- Illinois’ open 13th district, where Republican Rodney Davis, a former top aide to Rep. John Shimkus (R-Ill.), faces emergency room physician David Gill (D). The DCCC added $185,000 to its buy in the St. Louis media market from Oct. 16 to 22 and $217,000 to its buy in the Champaign media market from Oct. 16 to Nov. 6.
- Illinois’ 17th district, where Rep. Bobby Schilling (R) faces former East Moline Alderwoman Cheri Bustos (D). The DCCC added $325,000 to its buy in the Quad City media market from Oct. 16 to Nov. 6.
- New York’s 21st district, where Rep. Bill Owens (D) faces investment banker Matt Doheney (R). The DCCC added $126,000 to its buy in the Burlington-Plattsburgh media market from Oct. 17 to Nov. 6 and $123,000 to its buy in the Albany market from Oct. 16 to Nov. 6.
- New York’s 25th district, where Rep. Louise Slaughter (D) faces Monroe County Executive Maggie Brooks (R). The DCCC bought $260,000 in the Rochester media market from Oct. 23 to Nov. 6. This is notable because just a few weeks ago the seat had looked to be trending safely Democratic.
- New York’s 27th district, where Rep. Kathy Hochul (D) faces businessman Chris Collins (R). The DCCC bought $260,000 in the Rochester media market from Oct. 26 to Nov. 6.
- Pennsylvania’s 12th district, where Rep. Mark Critz (D) faces attorney Keith Rothfus (R). The DCCC added $210,000 to its buy in the Johnstown media market from Oct. 23 to Nov. 6.