Today’s First-Quarter Fundraising Roundup
First-quarter fundraising numbers continued to trickle out today, as campaigns inch toward Sunday’s filing deadline. These are the first money figures in an election year, and therefore they provide a window into the state of many races as campaigns become more organized.
- Arizona: Rep. Jeff Flake raised $935,000 for his Senate bid in the first quarter of the year and ended March with about $3 million in cash on hand.
Montana: We do not have exact figures, but it’s about a tie. Both campaigns are saying they raised about $1.2 million in the first quarter. However, Sen. Jon Tester (D) has the upper hand in cash on hand. He had $4.3 million at the end of last month compared with Rep. Denny Rehberg‘s (R) $2.7 million. The two are facing off in a race that Roll Call rates as a Tossup.
- New Mexico: Former Rep. Heather Wilson (R) raised $745,000 in the first quarter, and she had $1.4 million in the bank. She is running to replace retiring Sen. Jeff Bingaman (D) and will likely face Rep. Martin Heinrich (D). Roll Call rates this race as a Tossup.
- Texas: Former Solicitor General Ted Cruz (R) raised $1.3 million. Although it was less than GOP frontrunner and Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst’s $1.66 million, it is a good showing. The Texas Senate race is about to heat up. The primary is on May 29.
- AZ-01: Former Rep. Matt Salmon (R) raised about $238,000 and had almost $470,000 in cash on hand at the end of the quarter. He is running in the open-seat race to replace Flake, who is running for Senate. The race will most likely be determined in the primary, and he faces former state Speaker Kirk Adams.
- CA-31: Redlands Mayor Pete Aguilar (D) will post a $222,000 first-quarter haul, and he had $203,000 in cash on hand.
- NJ-03: Attorney Shelley Adler (D), widow of former Rep. John Adler (D-N.J.), raised $309,000 in the first quarter, and she had $290,000 in cash on hand. Adler is challenging Rep. Jon Runyan (R). Roll Call rates this race as Leans Republican.