List of Reopened Capitol Complex Buildings and Garages
Updated: 9:33 p.m.
Capitol Police and structural engineers from the Architect of the Capitol worked throughout the afternoon and evening Tuesday to ensure that buildings in the Capitol complex were safe to enter following a 5.8-magnitude earthquake earlier in the day.
The police announced that individuals with offices in the following buildings were allowed inside to retrieve personal items and secure work areas. Police asked that they minimize their time in the building while inspectors continued to work in the complex.
- Capitol Visitor Center
- Russell Senate Office Building
- Hart Senate Office Building
- Dirksen Senate Office Building
- Longworth House Office Building (enter at the South Capitol Street door entrance only)
- Rayburn House Office Building
- Cannon House Office Building
- Ford House Office Building
- Fairchild Building
- Library of Congress Jefferson Building
- Library of Congress Adams Building
The following parking areas were also opened for drivers to remove their cars:
- Russell garage
- Hart garage
- Dirksen garage
- Cannon garage
- Rayburn garage
- Ford garage
- West Underground (Lower D) garage on the House side
Capitol Police indicated that Wednesday was expected to be a normal business day.