North Carolina: McIntyre Opens Small Crack to Senate Bid

Posted May 22, 2009 at 5:40pm

After Attorney General Roy Cooper (D), Lt. Gov. Walter Dalton (D) and Raleigh Mayor Charles Meeker all recently said no to the idea of challenging Sen. Richard Burr (R) in 2010, Rep. Mike McIntyre (D) said last week that he’s at least considering the possibility — even though it doesn’t sound likely that he’ll run.

“I have received encouragement to consider the possibility of running for the U.S. Senate,— McIntyre said last week. “I can tell you that although you never say never to anything, my job right now is the United States Congress. We’re already looking ahead to get ready for next year’s election— in the 7th district.

Rep. Heath Shuler has already passed on the Senate race, but some Democratic insiders say he’s still on party recruitment lists. Reps. Bob Etheridge and Brad Miller have also been mentioned as possible challengers to Burr next year.