Kitchen Fire Evacuates Capitol Hill Club

Posted July 15, 2008 at 10:51am

A kitchen fire broke out at the Capitol Hill Club at about 10:40 a.m. Tuesday, causing the evacuation of the building.

Damage was “superficial,” and no one was injured, according to D.C. Fire Department spokesman Alan Etter.

Etter said the fire, which produced a great deal of smoke, was caused after plastic racks from a dishwasher were apparently placed on a stove.

The kitchen of the private Republican club is located on the third floor, and the smoke from the burning plastic filled both that floor and the one above it.

Etter said he expected that people could return to the building around noon, after fire officials reset the alarm and air out the building.

Capitol Police have closed C Street Southeast from 1st Street to 2nd Street, and 1st Street Southeast from C Street to D Street, according to police spokeswoman Sgt. Kimberly Schneider.