Reports of Smoke Lead to Brief Evacuation of Rayburn
The Rayburn House Office Building was briefly evacuated just after 3 p.m. today after smoke was reported in its garage.
The D.C. Fire Department responded to the incident and spokesman Alan Etter said no service was required.
“A wire shorted out which created a little smoke. … It was very minor,” Etter said.
Capitol Police spokesman Michael Lauer said the short circuit that sounded the fire alarm was caused by an “internal electrical system malfunction.”
The building was cleared for re-entry by 3:30 p.m.
— John McArdle