Police End ‘One Man Crime Spree’
Metropolitan Police Department officials announced the arrest Wednesday of a man suspected in more than 20 robberies in the Capitol Hill neighborhood.
The U.S. Marshals Service Joint Enforcement Initiative, assisted by MPD officers, arrested Keith Anthony Williams, 42, in Hyattsville, Md. The arrest followed an investigation by MPD officials, who worked with the U.S. Secret Service’s Electronic Crimes Task Force and Metropolitan Area Fraud Task Force.
Williams is charged in 19 armed robberies, one “robbery-snatch” and as a fugitive from justice.
In an electronic newsletter issued to residents of Police Service Area 106, located due north of the Capitol, Lt. David Kamperin said police found handguns, credit cards and other items after obtaining a search warrant for Williams’ home.
“Dedication and hardwork were the driving forces in locating and arresting this ‘one man crime spree,’” Kamperin wrote. “The tact officers made it a point to interview victims shortly after the robberies and discovered a pattern involving the suspect.”
According to Kamperin, Williams allegedly used stolen credit cards to pay for gasoline at local stations in exchange for cash, as well as to purchase items at local shops, including a CVS drugstore near the Eastern Market Metro station.
During the investigation, officers were able to locate Williams using surveillance tape and information from the drugstore.
Kamperin noted that Williams and a female acquaintance were captured on a surveillance video while parked in a van outside the drugstore. While purchasing items, Williams’ acquaintance provided her home telephone number to a store clerk in order to use a discount card issued by the store. Police retrieved the phone number and matched it to an address in the District’s Southeast quadrant.
“After some surveillance and checks with [Court Services and Offender Supervision Agency], the male suspect was identified and photo spreads of the suspect were shown to victims,” Kamperin wrote.
- Sept. 1: 500 block of 14th Street Southeast
- Sept. 30: Eighth and C streets Southeast
- Oct. 16: 1200 block of Massachusetts Avenue Southeast
- Oct. 22: 1400 block of D Street Southeast
- Oct. 22: 600 block of East Capitol Street Southeast
- Nov. 4: 500 block of 14th Street Southeast
- Nov. 5: 200 block of Ninth Street Southeast
- Nov. 6: 100 block of Kentucky Avenue Southeast
- Nov. 12: 1200 block of Independence Avenue Southeast
- Nov. 13: 200 block of Eighth Street Southeast
- Nov. 13: 1200 block of South Carolina Avenue Southeast
- Nov. 17: Eighth Street and Massachusetts Avenue Southeast
- Nov. 20: 600 block of C Street Northeast
- Nov. 20: 1200 block of South Carolina Avenue Southeast
- Nov. 20: 1200 block of Third Street Northeast
- Nov. 21: 800 block of C Street Southeast
- Nov. 23: 1200 block of Independence Avenue Southeast
- Nov. 28: 400 block of Fourth Street Northeast
- Dec. 1: 500 block of Ninth Street Southeast