Republican state Sen. Julianne Ortman The member: First-term Sen. Al Franken
First-term Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn.
D-Minn. The state: Franken won by the smallest margin of any Senate race in 2008. He defeated then-Sen. Norm Coleman
Franken won by the smallest margin of any Senate race in 2008. He defeated then-Sen. Norm Coleman, a Republican, following a recount.
a Republican, following a recount. The candidate’s team: Campaign manager Andy Parrish and media consultant Ed Brookover.
The candidate’s team:
State Sen. Julianne Ortman, a Republican, described her recent straw poll victory as proof her party is starting to coalesce around a challenger to Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., in 2014.
"It's encouragement that we're starting to unify the party," Ortman said in a Nov. 8 interview with CQ Roll Call.
A plethora of GOP candidates have declared bids for the May primary: state Rep. Jim Abeler, St. Louis County Board of Commissioners Chairman Chris Dahlberg, financial executive Mike McFadden, bison farmer Monti Moreno, and retired Army chaplain Harold Shudlick.
McFadden, in particular, has proved a formidable force in the race with his strong fundraising. But Ortman argued she stood out from the pack with her legislative experience.
"I bring some things to the race that others don't ... I'm also a mom," said Ortman, ticking off the names and ages of her four children. "It's all about their future, really."
Minnesota's Senate is rated Safe Democrat by Rothenberg Political Report/Roll Call.
This video interview series questions the scores of congressional hopefuls who visit the CQ Roll Call offices each cycle. Responses and questions have been edited and condensed. Have a question for a candidate? Follow us at @RollCallPols to learn about upcoming interviews.
Previous candidate interviews:
- Georgia’s 10th District: Republican Donna Sheldon
- California’s 25th District: Democrat Lee Rogers
- Michigan’s 7th District: Democrat Pam Byrnes
- Nevada’s 3rd District: Democrat Erin Bilbray
- Illinois’ 13th District: Democrat Ann Callis
- Ohio’s 6th District: Democrat Jennifer Garrison
- Michigan’s 1st District: Democrat Jerry Cannon
- Montana’s At-Large District: Democrat John Lewis
- New York’s 23rd District: Democrat Martha Robertson
- Senate in North Carolina: Republican Thom Tillis
- Senate in Alaska: Republican Mead Treadwell
- Senate in South Carolina: Republican Lee Bright
- Senate in Iowa: Republican David Young
- Senate in Kentucky: Republican Matt Bevin
- Illinois’ 12th District: Republican Mike Bost
- Idaho’s 2nd District: Republican Bryan Smith
- Michigan’s 14th District: Democrat Rudy Hobbs
- California’s 45th District: Republican Mimi Walters
- Senate in Iowa: Republican Matt Whitaker
- Senate in Nebraska: Republican Shane Osborn
- Minnesota’s 6th District: Republican Tom Emmer
- Minnesota’s 6th District: Democrat Jim Graves
- Florida’s 2nd District: Democrat Gwen Graham
- Pennsylvania’s 13th District: Democrat Daylin Leach