sexual-harassment

Emails Show Farenthold’s Pursuit of Lobbying Job
Disgraced former Texas congressman landed position shortly after leaving Congress

Rep. Blake Farenthold, R-Texas, appeared to have started angling for a new job within a few weeks of leaving the Hill. (Tom Williams/CQ Roll Call file photo)

Emails between former Rep. Blake Farenthold and his new employer show the disgraced Texas Republican was angling for a lobbying job shortly after resigning from Congress.

The emails obtained by the Dallas Morning News through an open records request showed Farenthold was pushing for an answer on the lobbying job with the port authority in his former district.

Conyers’ Son Fails to Make the Ballot
Former congressman’s great nephew challenges signatures on son’s application to run to replace him in the House

The son of former Rep. John Conyers Jr., D-Mich., and his great nephew hope to replace him in the House. (Bill Clark/CQ Roll Call file photo)

The family feud to replace former Rep. John Conyers Jr. took another turn Wednesday when the Michigan Democrat’s son failed to qualify for the ballot.

The Wayne County Clerk’s elections staff said John Conyers III, the former congressman’s son, was ineligible because he fell short of the number of valid signatures on his application to run, the Detroit News reported.

Meehan Contributes to Pennsylvania Republicans Following Harassment News
State party says it will use funds from disgraced former congressman to recruit women candidates

Former Rep. Patrick Meehan, R-Pa., contributed to a number of Republican groups in Pennsylvania. (Photo By Bill Clark/CQ Roll Call)

Disgraced former Rep. Pat Meehan donated funds to a number of Republican groups in Pennsylvania after revelations he settled a sexual harassment claim against him.

Meehan announced he would not seek re-election in January after the New York Times revealed he used taxpayer money to settle a sexual harassment claim against him by a former staffer.

Farenthold’s Ship Comes In
Disgraced former congressman will not pay money back to taxpayers

Former Texas Rep. Blake Farenthold has yet to pay back the $84,000 the government spent to settle a sexual harassment complaint after promising that he would. (Bill Clark/CQ Roll Call file photo)

Former Texas Rep. Blake Farenthold, who resigned in disgrace a month ago amid a sexual harassment scandal, has a new job.

The former Republican congressman told the “Lago in the Morning” talk show that he would be working for the Port of Port Lavaca-Point Comfort, the Corpus Christi Caller-Times reported.

Hoyer Fine With Cárdenas Remaining in Leadership While Abuse Allegations Investigated
Democratic whip says his view would be different if Cárdenas were in a role where he spoke for the party

House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer, D-Md., and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., are not calling on Rep. Tony Cardenas to step down from his leadership position amid child sex abuse allegations raised against him that he denies. (Photo By Al Drago/CQ Roll Call file photo)

House Minority Whip Steny H. Hoyer does not believe that Tony Cárdenas needs to step down from his leadership role over allegations that he sexually abused a 16-year-old girl in 2007 when he was serving on the Los Angeles City Council.

Cárdenas, who has denied the allegations raised against him in a lawsuit filed last month, serves in an elected leadership position House Democrats created in 2016 for a member serving for five terms or less to have a seat at the leadership table. The California Democrat is the highest-ranking lawmaker to be accused of sexual misconduct to date.

Sinema’s Donations From Cárdenas Scrutinized
Arizona Senate candidate’s opponents seize on another contribution from someone touched by scandal

Rep. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Ariz., is running to replace retiring Republican Sen. Jeff Flake in Arizona. (Bill Clark/CQ Roll Call file photo)

Rep. Kyrsten Sinema is back under the microscope for her handling of campaign contributions from donors with checkered legal and ethical pasts.

This time, it’s the $11,000 the Arizona Democrat has accepted since 2012 from another House colleague, California Rep. Tony Cárdenas.

Conyers Turns on Conyers In Bid to Replace Conyers
Great nephew of disgraced former congressman challenges signatures on son’s application to run

Former Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., walks down the House steps after voting last November. (Bill Clark/CQ Roll Call file photo)

The Conyers family power struggle intensified Thursday as Ian Conyers, the great nephew of disgraced former Rep. John Conyers Jr., took steps to boot the ex-congressman’s son John Conyers III from the ballot in the race to replace him.

John Conyers III should be kicked from the ballot because he did not collect the requisite 1,000 valid signatures to run for his father’s old seat in Michigan’s 13th District, the formal challenge filed by an attorney for Ian Conyers asserts.

Cárdenas, Member of Democratic Leadership, Denies Allegations of Child Sex Abuse
California congressman admits he’s unnamed defendant in lawsuit

Rep. Tony Cárdenas, D-Calif., has denied allegations of child sex abuse raised in a lawsuit filed last week. (Bill Clark/CQ Roll Call file photo)

California Rep. Tony Cárdenas, a junior member of Democratic leadership, is denying through a lawyer allegations of child sex abuse raised in a lawsuit filed last week in Los Angeles County. 

The lawsuit did not name Cárdenas, describing the defendant, John Doe, as “an elected politician in Los Angeles County.” California law prevents the naming of the defendant in court filings for civil cases involving child sex abuse “until there has been a showing of corroborative fact as to the charging allegations against that defendant.”

Roy Moore Claims ‘Political Conspiracy’ in New Lawsuit Against Accusers
One defendant is also plaintiff in a different suit against Moore

GOP candidate for U.S. Senate Roy Moore filed suit Monday against several women who accused him during his campaign of sexual misconduct in the 1970s. (Bill Clark/CQ Roll Call file photo)

Failed Alabama GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore filed a new lawsuit Monday accusing several women who made allegations of sexual misconduct against him of a “political conspiracy” to prevent him from winning the state’s December special election.

The allegations that Moore, 71, courted and made sexual contact with teenage girls when he was a district attorney in his 30s are “false,” said Melissa Isaak, Moore’s attorney. She spoke at a news conference Monday in Gadsden, Alabama, where many of the incidents are claimed to have taken place roughly 40 years ago.

Here Are the 7 Congressmen Accused of Sexual Misconduct Since #MeToo
Rep. Patrick Meehan is most recent resignation from Congress over sexual misconduct allegations

Gretchen Carlson arrives for the press conference with members of Congress in the Capitol on a new bipartisan bill to prevent sexual harassment and discrimination in the workplace on Wednesday. The bill passed the House, but no action has been made in the Senate. (Bill Clark/CQ Roll Call file photo)

Rep. Pat Meehan announced his resignation from Congress Friday following reports that he used taxpayer money to settle a sexual harassment complaint with a former aide.

Meehan had previously announced he would not run for re-election. He cited sparing his staff from an Ethics investigation as the cause for the early exit.