- Republican Wins Money Race in New York Special
- Congressional Hits and Misses: Week of April 20, 2015
- Pelosi Reacts to Death of Al Qaida Hostages
- Pelosi Calls Emerging Trade Deal a 'Pothole'
- Freshman's Campaign Issue Gets D.C. Attention
“The candidate of hope and change has become the president of divide and deceit,” said Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (R-Fla.). Diaz-Balart said on a Republican National Committee conference call that the president cannot run on his record, including his failure to cut the deficit in half as he proposed, so he is trying to instead divide the county.
“I don’t think Americans are interested in class warfare,” RNC Chairman Reince Priebus said. “This is a tax that is going to hurt small businesses at a time we should be making it easier. ... This is the last thing that we want to do.”
Diaz-Balart said the policy wouldn’t help the economy.
“How does raising taxes or threatening to raise taxes help the economy, help to create jobs?” Diaz-Balart asked. He called the move “warfare on the job creators.”