- Why was Fiorina Denied Ad Time During the Debate?
- What the Hell Happened to Jeb Bush?
- Pelosi, DCCC Use Tea Party to Fire Up Dem Voters
- Anti-Abortion Groups to GOP: Include Fiorina in Debate
- Obamacare Repeal Votes Motivate Democratic Donors
Federal regulators and legislators must recognize the importance of maintaining and improving the grid’s reliability, affordability and environmental performance in balance. To that end, policymakers must understand the impact of government requirements on baseload capacity and the reliability of the grid. At a minimum, federal agencies must formally review and recognize the realistic and predictable consequences of their regulatory actions with the dual goal of prevention and mitigation.
Industry, regulators and other leaders need to more vigorously share their views on the challenges facing today’s grid — including physical security, cybersecurity and regulatory impacts. The burdens of maintaining the grid must be fairly borne, and powerful regulatory laws must be judiciously administered.
Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska is the ranking Republican on the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee.