- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
Meanwhile, others are concerned about the legality, including D.C. Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Mayor Vincent Gray, D.C. Attorney General Irvin B. Nathan and GOP Rep. Darrell Issa of California, the chairman of the D.C.-focused Oversight and Government Reform Committee who has been the budget autonomy champion on Capitol Hill.
If the charter amendment passes, they say, it could come under fire for illegally attempting to circumvent Congress’ inherent control over the D.C. budget, as well as violating the act that forbids D.C. from spending funds before they are appropriated, in this case by Congress.
A better approach, they argue, would be to continue pushing a budget autonomy measure in Congress, where it would certainly not run afoul of any laws.