The government of Qatar recently signed an agreement for the purchase of four more C-17 Globemaster III airlifters . These aircraft will join the Qatar Armed Forces’ (QAF) existing fleet of four and help meet their ongoing airlift requirements.
“We are very pleased with the C-17s from Boeing and look forward to doubling our fleet to enhance worldwide operations,” said General Ahmed Al-Malki, Deputy Commander, Qatar Emiri Air Force and Chairman of The Airlift Committee.
Qatar received two C-17s in 2009 and another two in 2012. The additional four aircraft will significantly increase the QAF’s ability to support the people of Qatar and their allies with transport, airdrop and humanitarian missions.
Development and production of an aircraft represents about 30 percent of the lifecycle. The remaining 70 percent is sustainment. Although the C-17 production program is ending, Boeing will continue to partner with the U.S. Air Force and all of its global C-17 customers to provide world-class sustainment of the airlifters wherever they are operated for years to come.
Boeing sustains the worldwide fleet of more than 268 C-17s, including the aircraft delivered to Qatar, through a performance based logistics contract and has done so since the first Globemaster III was produced and made its home with the U.S. Air Force in Charleston in 1993. The contract ensures a level of performance that saves money and keeps C-17s mission ready.
In operation since 1991, C-17s are unmatched in their ability to transport troops or heavy cargo, to perform airdrop and aeromedical evacuations and to deliver humanitarian aid virtually anywhere in the world. The worldwide C-17 fleet has logged more than 3 million flight hours supporting military, humanitarian and disaster relief missions.