- Republican Wins Money Race in New York Special
- Congressional Hits and Misses: Week of April 20, 2015
- Pelosi Reacts to Death of Al Qaida Hostages
- Pelosi Calls Emerging Trade Deal a 'Pothole'
- Freshman's Campaign Issue Gets D.C. Attention
The shutdown caused the city to miss a $74-million payment due to the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority at the beginning of the month, which it is now required to pay back with interest, according to Gray.
“As Congress has now recognized, the District is not a federal agency, and our residents, visitors and businesses should not be forced to endure extreme hardships no other city or state in our nation has to face as a result of these standoffs,” Gray said. “We are the only place in the country where shutdowns of the federal government threaten basic city services and where Medicaid providers, public charter schools, and our regional transit system are faced with significant financial hardship or even ruin because we are prohibited from spending our own money.”