- Ratings Change: Kirk's Race Now Tilts to Democrats
- Congressional Hits and Misses: Best of Rob Bishop
- Carol Shea-Porter 'Ready to Win' N.H. Seat Back
- Lindsey Graham Rolls Eyes at Rand Paul
- Why Titus Won't Run for Reid's Senate Seat
“It struck me as ridiculous when you are comparing it to the fact that we’re being asked to look at raising Tricare copays, and we’re looking at pushing modernization of the National Guard and Reserves equipment ... further to the right,” she said. “We can’t blow this much money on uniforms.”
Punaro said the value of an esprit de corps shouldn’t be so simply dismissed.
“I don’t think we want to try to change the culture, history and tradition of the services and turn them into something they are not,” he said.
Retired Army Lt. Gen. Ted Stroup echoed Punaro’s concern.
Stroup said he believed Enyart and Duckworth are “trying to make this as controversial as the military bands. For esprit purposes, for identification among allies, you really need to have field uniforms among the services. It is a delineation of difference between the services; it’s done more for esprit de corps than utilization.”