- Retired Army Colonel to Challenge Stefanik
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Southwest
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: Mid-Atlantic States
- Top Congressional Races in 2016: The West
- Murphy to Announce He'll Seek Rematch With Blum (Updated)
By coordinating with Batkin regarding committee issues and managing the communications and legislative staff in Carper’s personal office, Ghent said, “I’m juggling a lot of things.”
He said he doesn’t have a preference when it comes to communications versus legislative work because they are “so intertwined.”
Ghent said instead, “What I would prefer is that Congress start doing things again.”
Over the past 11 years as a staffer, Ghent said he’s seen a “dramatic change” in Congress’ ability to tackle the nation’s problems.
Spain agreed, saying the “decline in [the] ability to work together to get things done has been pretty precipitous.”
Spain cited the emergence of social media, the perpetual news cycle and some new members who “don’t value the institution” as sources of tension on the Hill.
“We came here to get things done, to effect change,” Ghent said, “and we came here to work together.”