- Retired Army Colonel to Challenge Stefanik
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Southwest
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: Mid-Atlantic States
- Top Congressional Races in 2016: The West
- Murphy to Announce He'll Seek Rematch With Blum (Updated)
“We’re very serious about trying to get bipartisan support,” said Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.), who cited higher homelessness and joblessness among veterans.
“It’s just not right,” she said.
Sen. Jon Tester (D-Mont.), who has opposed Obama’s overall $447 billion jobs package, also joined the call to support the veterans piece.
“It is quite frankly shameful that veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan have a higher unemployment rate than the rest of America,” he said.
Tester noted that the legislation would direct the Department of Labor to look at translating military experience into civilian certifications or licenses that would accelerate veterans’ transitions into the labor force.