- Republican Wins Money Race in New York Special
- Congressional Hits and Misses: Week of April 20, 2015
- Pelosi Reacts to Death of Al Qaida Hostages
- Pelosi Calls Emerging Trade Deal a 'Pothole'
- Freshman's Campaign Issue Gets D.C. Attention
When Openshaw asked Dave Heil, Johnson’s chief of staff, to explain what the Texas Republican was up to, Heil responded in an email.
“In Sam’s view, sitting around and doing nothing is a great disservice to his constituency, his state and his country. He doesn’t want to be having this debate in another 10 or 15 years, we need to solve this problem now and for the future,” Heil wrote.
Supporters of the immigration group also think Johnson’s reputation will help sell their bipartisan deal.
“He’s a great American. Everyone loves him and he can do whatever he wants. If a POW of seven years is behind something, you’re just an asshole if you oppose it,” a GOP House aide said.
Maybe, although prudence would dictate some caution. Just ask McCain.