- Illinois Democrat Abruptly Drops Congressional Bid
- Jeff Miller Won't Run for Florida Senate Seat
- A Brief Electoral History of Recently Indicted Congressmen
- Becerra Won't Run for Senate
- Democrat to Detractors: I'm Doing Better Than Your Guy
“Today, the largest solar energy projects in the world are under construction on America’s public lands in the West, and we’ve issued the first leases for offshore wind in the Atlantic,” said Salazar in a statement. “I am proud of the renewable energy revolution that we have launched.”
Interior’s renewable push also has irked some environmentalists, who have challenged some projects in court under the Endangered Species Act. Environmentalists also have criticized Interior’s tentative approval last year of limited offshore drilling in Alaska’s Arctic seas. Interior is currently under pressure from green groups to declare a moratorium on Arctic drilling activity, following the accidental grounding of a Shell Oil Co. drilling rig off Alaska’s coast during a Dec. 31 storm.
Niels Lesniewski contributed to this report.