House Republicans are only now beginning to take a deeper look at Budget Chairman Paul D. Ryan's fiscal 2014 budget plan. A committee markup to fill in the details is scheduled to begin Wednesday.
In the interim, here are the "talking points" House Budget Committee Republicans have armed their GOP colleagues with:
The Path to Prosperity: A Responsible, Balanced Budget We owe the American people a responsible, balanced budget. We balance the budget in 10 years. Senate Democrats never balance — ever. It’s not fair to take more just to spend more in Washington. A balanced budget will foster a healthier economy and help create jobs.
- We can’t keep spending money we don’t have. By refusing to get serious about spending, many in Washington are making clear they favor trillions of dollars of tax increases on American families.
- It is irresponsible to take more from hardworking taxpayers to spend more in Washington.
- House Republicans have a plan to get spending and debt under control so we can regain control of our future.
- We have a plan to:
- Stop spending money we don’t have by cutting wasteful spending;
- Fix our broken tax code to create jobs and increase wages;
- Protect and strengthen important priorities like Medicare and national security;
- Repair the safety net and expand opportunity to all Americans.
- Every family must balance its budget, and Washington should too. We invite the President and Senate Democrats to join us in this common-sense goal.
- We have a plan to balance the budget in 10 years. Unfortunately, the Senate Democrats’ budget never balances — ever.
- With the right reforms in place, we can balance the budget, foster a healthier economy, and create jobs.