- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
The Founding Fathers explicitly protected the press in the First Amendment because it is such a critical service to a free society, but they were smart enough not to define what “the press” was. Journalism is society’s greatest safeguard against government abuse, and Congress should seek to protect it in all its forms, and not define it to fit their own devices.
Jason Stverak is president of the Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity and publisher of Watchdog.org.