Politics

Cruz Suspends Campaign After Indiana Loss

Says his path to the nomination has been 'foreclosed'

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, left, hugs his father, Rafael, and his wife, Heidi, after announcing the suspension of his presidential campaign Tuesday night following his loss in the Indiana primary to Donald Trump. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

After a devastating loss in Indiana Tuesday night, Sen. Ted Cruz announced he is suspending his presidential campaign, further clearing the way for front-runner Donald Trump to clinch the Republican nomination.  

[Related: Sanders Upsets Clinton in Indiana] The Texas Republican told supporters in Indianapolis that he had planned to stay in the race as long as he saw a path to the nomination.  

"Tonight, I’m sorry to say, it appears that path has been foreclosed," Cruz said as returns in Indiana showed him trailing Trump by 15 percentage points.  

[Related: Trump Cruises, Cruz Out] Cruz had been counting on a win in Indiana to continue his case that he is the only serious challenger left to Trump. John Kasich had decided not to campaign in Indiana in an effort to help Cruz defeat Trump there.  

"We left it all on the field in Indiana," Cruz said. "We gave it all we got."  

Contact McPherson at lindseymcpherson@rollcall.com and follow her on Twitter @lindsemcpherson. Get breaking news alerts and more from Roll Call on your iPhone or your Android.