Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.) announced Thursday morning that he will run for governor instead of seeking re-election to Congress in 2012.
“I’ve been humbled by the outpouring of encouragement we’ve received from people across this state, and it is for that reason today, I’m announcing my candidacy for the Republican nomination for governor of Indiana in 2012,” said Pence in a video posted on his campaign website.
Pence told supporters that a “formal campaign kick off will come later,” but that he has started to officially campaign to succeed Gov. Mitch Daniels (R).
Several Republicans are expected to run in Pence’s eastern Indiana district, which was altered drastically as a result of redistricting.
Former state GOP Executive Director Luke Messer told Roll Call last month that he is interested in running for the new 6th district, which he became a resident of when state lawmakers drew the new boundaries. Messer came close to defeating Rep. Dan Burton (R-Ind.) in the GOP primary in 2010, but lost by about 2,300 votes.
Former Rep. David McIntosh (R-Ind.) is also interested in running for his former seat, according to a story in the insider newsletter Howey Politics Indiana. McIntosh left his seat in 2000 to run for governor, but lost to Gov. Frank O’Bannon (D).
Correction: May 5, 2011
The article incorrectly stated that Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.) would leave Congress to run for governor. He will not seek re-election.
Visitors get their first look at the American Veterans Disabled for Life Memorial, which opened to the public on Monday, Oct. 6, 2014. The new memorial is located off Independence Ave. SW between the Rayburn House Office Building and HHS. Buy photo here.