Podiatrist Lee Rogers, a Democrat. The member: Rep. Howard "Buck" McKeon, a Republican.
Rep. Howard "Buck" McKeon, a Republican. The district: California’s 25th District, which McKeon has held since 1992.
California’s 25th District, which McKeon has held since 1992. The candidate’s team: Bill Wachob of The Campaign Group (general consultant and media), Eric Hogensen of HSG Campaigns (direct mail), Jonathan Brown of Global Strategy Group (polling), Adam Nashban (fundraising and strategy).
The candidate’s team:
Podiatrist Lee Rogers, a Democrat, views an open-seat race as advantageous in his second attempt for Rep. Howard "Buck" McKeon's 25th District in California.
"There will be more attention on the district if it's an open seat," Rogers said in an Oct. 11 interview with CQ Roll Call. "This is one that already shows [McKeon] to be vulnerable. I think more attention is probably good for the challenger."
Insiders have speculated this could be the top Republican's last term in Congress, although his aide said in April he has no plans to retire. President Barack Obama lost the district by a slim margin in 2012, which makes Democrats optimistic they could compete there if McKeon leaves.
McKeon defeated Rogers by nearly 10 points in the 2012 race for California's 25th district. Rogers said he's learned from his mistakes last cycle.
"I didn't know anything about politics when I came in," he said. "I hired some good people to help me out, and you're smart to take their advice. But sometimes I would be campaigning way too early. I think that's one of the mistakes I made."
California's 25th District is rated Safe Republican by Rothenberg Political Report/Roll Call.
- Michigan’s 7th District: Democrat Pam Byrnes
- Nevada’s 3rd District: Democrat Erin Bilbray
- Illinois’ 13th District: Democrat Ann Callis
- Ohio’s 6th District: Democrat Jennifer Garrison
- Michigan’s 1st District: Democrat Jerry Cannon
- Montana’s At-Large District: Democrat John Lewis
- New York’s 23rd District: Democrat Martha Robertson
- Senate in North Carolina: Republican Thom Tillis
- Senate in Alaska: Republican Mead Treadwell
- Senate in South Carolina: Republican Lee Bright
- Senate in Iowa: Republican David Young
- Senate in Kentucky: Republican Matt Bevin
- Illinois’ 12th District: Republican Mike Bost
- Idaho’s 2nd District: Republican Bryan Smith
- Michigan’s 14th District: Democrat Rudy Hobbs
- California’s 45th District: Republican Mimi Walters
- Senate in Iowa: Republican Matt Whitaker
- Senate in Nebraska: Republican Shane Osborn
- Minnesota’s 6th District: Republican Tom Emmer
- Minnesota’s 6th District: Democrat Jim Graves
- Florida’s 2nd District: Democrat Gwen Graham
- Pennsylvania’s 13th District: Democrat Daylin Leach