- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Plains Region
Moran hails from a solid Republican state and did not face tough competition in his only general election Senate campaign. But he won the GOP Senate nomination in a brutal primary against an opponent with more support among national conservative figures, including Sarah Palin, and that experience could come in handy for a party that has lost winnable races in recent elections because it failed to nominate the more electable candidate.
“He knows how these things work,” said the source familiar with Moran’s thinking. “A year from now his skeptics will not be skeptics anymore.”