- Republican Wins Money Race in New York Special
- Congressional Hits and Misses: Week of April 20, 2015
- Pelosi Reacts to Death of Al Qaida Hostages
- Pelosi Calls Emerging Trade Deal a 'Pothole'
- Freshman's Campaign Issue Gets D.C. Attention
McConnell, however, said the debt ceiling talks are “a great opportunity to bring the two sides together to do something really significant for the country. ... I think what would reassure the world more than anything we could do would be to come together and use this opportunity, presented by the president’s request of us to raise the debt ceiling, to do something about the debt.”
He added that “the president’s own trustees, of Medicare and Social Security, have said both programs are in trouble” and that Medicare expenditures might be a point of potential compromise. “We know the Democrats are willing to reduce Medicare expenditures,” he said on “This Week.” “That’s something that can actually pass the Congress.”
Melanie Starkey contributed to this report.