- Retired Army Colonel to Challenge Stefanik
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Southwest
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: Mid-Atlantic States
- Top Congressional Races in 2016: The West
- Murphy to Announce He'll Seek Rematch With Blum (Updated)
Release of the report would not only allow Americans to see what their government did in their name; it would also trigger a public reckoning, which would, I’m confident, ensure that torture-as-official-policy remains an aberration. On the other hand, if the truth is suppressed, another terrorist attack or a new president could send us scurrying back to the dark side.
It may have been tempting to think that Obama’s executive order closed the book on torture. But we can’t close the book until we open it.
Elisa Massimino is president and CEO of Human Rights First.