- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Plains Region
- Republicans Aiming to Register Voters at NASCAR
- Retired Army Colonel to Challenge Stefanik
“We would change the current definition of a lobbyist to provide far fewer loopholes for outside consultants,” Marlowe said. The plan also would harmonize clashing definitions of “lobbying” in the Lobbying Disclosure Act and the Internal Revenue Code, which require both taxable and tax-exempt groups to track their lobbying costs. It would require lobbyists to register after 20 days instead of 45 as under the LDA. It would also require ethics training for lobbyists.
Marlowe acknowledged that “the changes won’t happen this year,” given the legislative calendar. But he said the league’s board and members will be persuading lawmakers to take up their package in the way they know best: through sustained lobbying.