- Illinois Democrat Abruptly Drops Congressional Bid
- Jeff Miller Won't Run for Florida Senate Seat
- A Brief Electoral History of Recently Indicted Congressmen
- Becerra Won't Run for Senate
- Democrat to Detractors: I'm Doing Better Than Your Guy
McGovern said he went to the floor the next day and introduced a resolution creating the committee, and it passed without objection.
“From that day until we both left the Senate years later, [Dole] and I worked hand in glove on school lunches, on food stamps, on the WIC program, which we helped launch. ... We revolutionized food assistance in this country,” McGovern said.
McGovern’s interest in nutrition stretches back to World War II, when the allies decided to distribute their remaining food before heading home.
“We were feeding our former enemies two days after bombing them,” McGovern said in an interview with New York Times food writer Mark Bittman last year. “It was an unprecedented gesture of good will.”