- Top Congressional Races in 2016: The West
- Murphy to Announce He'll Seek Rematch With Blum (Updated)
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The South
- When the Second Time Isnt the Charm
- State Senator Considering Run for Arizona Open House Seat
Beyond its effect on middle-income earners, a wide range of tax policy experts note several potentially unattractive consequences of a deduction cap. Many taxpayers could claim deductions for state and local tax and mortgage interest payments, which would shrink incentives for charitable deductions.
Sam Goldfarb contributed to this report.
An earlier version of this article misstated whom President Barack Obama said he wouldn't raise taxes on. Obama has said he won't raise taxes on those making less than $250,000.