- Illinois Democrat Abruptly Drops Congressional Bid
- Jeff Miller Won't Run for Florida Senate Seat
- A Brief Electoral History of Recently Indicted Congressmen
- Becerra Won't Run for Senate
- Democrat to Detractors: I'm Doing Better Than Your Guy
Ahmad pleaded guilty in October to a scheme that used straw buyers to defraud banks. He faces more than 10 years in prison and will pay $14 million restitution, according to local media reports.
“Even if the Committee was able to interview Mr. Ahmad and Mr. Ahmad contradicted Representative Meeks’ version of the events regarding the Ahmad loan, the Committee would be left with a ‘swearing contest’ between a Member and a person who has pled guilty to conspiracy to committee bank and wire fraud,” the committee’s report said.
“Given this situation . . . the Committee has decided to close its investigation regarding the allegation that Representative Meeks received an improper gift from Mr. Ahmad,” the report concluded.