- Republican Wins Money Race in New York Special
- Congressional Hits and Misses: Week of April 20, 2015
- Pelosi Reacts to Death of Al Qaida Hostages
- Pelosi Calls Emerging Trade Deal a 'Pothole'
- Freshman's Campaign Issue Gets D.C. Attention
The Newtown, Conn., superintendent gave a chilling and remarkably composed account of the December shooting that took the lives of six of her employees and 20 students. Robinson talked about the teachers and administrators who died and the path the killer took before he turned his gun on himself.
“What do I say to parents who want to be assured that when they put their children on the bus to school that they will come home? How do I protect our students without creating fortresses?” Robinson asked. “I have heard the measure of a society is how they treat their children, so help me give these children their futures.”
In wrapping up the session — gaveled in by House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi of California — Rep. Rosa DeLauro, D-Conn., who has been taking a lead in the gun control debate in the weeks since the Sandy Hook shooting, thanked the witnesses.
“Thanks for giving us the strength and resolve to make these changes with you,” DeLauro said.