- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Plains Region
- Republicans Aiming to Register Voters at NASCAR
- Retired Army Colonel to Challenge Stefanik
The committee in July of last year hired litigator Billy Martin to review Waters’ charge that the committee had violated her rights during its investigation before deciding whether the case against her could proceed. Wednesday’s announcement marked the completion of the first phase with which Martin was tasked.
Six committee members announced in February that they had voluntarily recused themselves from the Waters matter at Martin’s recommendation. Republican Reps. Mike Simpson (Idaho), Steven LaTourette (Ohio), Shelley Moore Capito (W.Va.), Tim Griffin (Ark.) and Goodlatte and Democratic Rep. John Sarbanes (Md.) were appointed as substitute committee members, with Goodlatte acting as chairman and existing Ethics member Yarmuth as ranking member. It was these Members who considered and voted on Martin’s findings.