- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
Still, by refusing to approve the mission, the message from the House was one largely of rebuke. That resolution would have authorized military involvement in Libya for the next year.
The Hastings measure fell on a 123-295 vote. That vote came one day after Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton tried to rally Democrats to support the resolution, but not all Members of the president’s party heeded the call. In total, 115 Democrats voted in favor of the resolution and 70 against.
Democrats came out more strongly against the effort to limit funds for the operation, with 149 of them essentially voting with Obama.
Since March, the U.S. and NATO allies have been engaged in bombing missions against the regime of Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi. The effort is intended to prevent the government from killing civilians and protesters in what has now become a civil war in the North African country.